SIX WAYS WE WILL STOP THE DIG
- Saugatuck Township must enforce our locally determined zoning. Section 40-910(h) clearly states, “IN NO EVENT shall a canal or channel be excavated to increase the water frontage.”
- Michigan’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes, Energy (EGLE) must enforce our state laws that prohibit draining globally imperiled interdunal wetlands. NorthShore’s proposed construction method could lower the wetlands at the State Park by more than ten feet.
- Michigan’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes, Energy (EGLE) must enforce our state laws that prohibit sand dune mining within Michigan’s critical dune boundary. NorthShore proposes to dig 260,000 cubic yards of sand forever altering our critical dune map.
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) must deny any permit that is “contrary to the Public Interest.” This is described in USACE 33 CFR Part 320 General Regulatory Policies. There is zero public benefit from NorthShore’s proposed dig.
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) must deny any permit that “adversely affect the biological productivity of wetlands ecosystems by … dewatering.” This is described in USACE CFR Part 230 Section 404(b)(1).
NorthShore’s proposed construction method could lower the wetlands at the State Park by more than ten feet.
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) must deny any permit that according to Section 110(k) (54 U.S.C. 306113) of the National Historic Preservation Act when an applicant (NorthShore), “with intent to avoid Section 106, has intentionally significantly adversely affected an historic property to which the permit would relate.” NorthShore continues to alter the landscape determined to be a Tribal Cultural Landscape. The permit must be denied.
SIX THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP NOW
Contribute to our legal defense fund.
The law is on our side.
Our laws – local, state, federal – must be enforced equally for all citizens.
Help us defend and enforce our laws.
You can donate three ways:
- Make a donation to SDCA through PayPal
- Make a donation to SDCA through GoFundMe
- Send a check to The Coastal Alliance, PO 1013, Saugatuck, MI 494532)
Call our elected and appointed officials and ask that they proactively speak out in support of our laws that we’ve all agreed to follow – “IN NO EVENT shall a canal or channel be excavated for the purpose of increasing the water frontage.”
Write letters to the editor of our regional papers.
- Calling out local officials to enforce local zoning
- Calling out EGLE and the attorney general, as well as Army Corps to protect the natural resources, historic sites, and cultural values.
- Calling out the owners of NorthShore of Saugatuck to Stop The Dig!
Walk the River Mouth Neighborhood.
Our community has invested tens of millions of dollars to protect the Saugatuck Dunes from out-of-scale inappropriate development. Visit the River Mouth to fully understand the magnitude of how NorthShore of Saugatuck will negatively impact our investments in Saugatuck Dunes State Park & the Patty Birkholz Natural Area, Saugatuck Harbor Natural Area, Tallmadge Woods, Ox-Bow School of Art, Mt. Baldhead Park, and Oval Beach.
ATTEND THE UPCOMING COASTAL ALLIANCE TOWNHALL MEETING AT THE END OF NOVEMBER
Together we can and we will preserve the Kalamazoo River Mouth.